Monday, July 24, 2006

Testy

Tomorrow is exam day. Apparently I haven't been tested enough in the last couple of years! (joke to self)

I've been taking an online PowerPoint course through the local college.

I know, some of you reading may be saying to yourselves, "A PowerPoint COURSE? Why on earth would you waste your time with that, Tracy? You could learn that in an afternoon!" I know, I know.

At work, management wants people to learn. They require us to learn things, to get educated. It's on my review every year. I was going to take the half-day course, but then my boss found this online course and suggested I look into it. It cost less than the half-day course (until you add the cost of the textbook in), and it said it required 30 hours to complete. It's got to be more intense than any half-day course!

You know what? This course has been surprising. I've put a lot of hours into learning and practicing PowerPoint. More, I think, than the 30 hours the course required. There is no way I could have learned AND RETAINED as much information about PowerPoint in a half day course as I have in this online one. It's been 18 years since I graduated from highschool, and this is the first real course I have taken since then. I'm not exactly used to studying and practicing and completing lessons anymore! But I did it, and it wasn't so bad. Now I'm feeling pretty comfortable with PowerPoint, and that's exactly what I wanted. All that half-day blitz course would have given me is a headache.

The exam tomorrow is 3 hours! Well, they allow you 3 hours to complete it, so that doesn't necessarily mean that it takes that long. I'm nervous, but I think it's going to be okay. For one, there won't be a teacher wandering about and making me extra nervous. Secondly, the exam is online too, so I can use my books and look through my notes and examples to complete the exam. It's going to be alright.

I'm thinking about taking another online course now. Another program that I need to know better for work is Access. Yikes! That one really scares me! It makes me think numbers, and numbers are my enemy! They don't like me at all! I'll have to psyche myself up for that one for sure! Too many exclamation points...

I am not studying tonight. I did some of that last week, over the weekend, and today at work. I'm relaxing tonight. In fact, as soon as I post this I'm going to get ready for bed. I'm going to be as fresh as a daisy for that exam tomorrow.

Hooray! It's over!

6 comments:

Krista said...

Good luck Sis! I know you'll do great!

I think it's a fantastic idea for you to take an Access course! Keep learning - it's good for the brain!

Tracy said...

I'm done! I'm done! I've finished my exam!

It was your typical exam . . . it screwed with my head. 60 questions of True or False and Multiple Choice. Yuck! My least favourite question types. Give me something I can throw some words together for. At least that way I can BS my way through it. :) How do you think I passed Economics course? Hee hee!

Krista said...

YAY! When will you know your result?

It's funny - I prefer true/false and multiple choice. Usually the correct answer stands out. Written answers requirre too much thought, and effort! LOL!

Tracy said...

The instructor cannot send out the results herself. We have to wait to hear from the college what our marks are. Who knows how long that will take!

So it's not just in looks that we differ! :)

kathryn said...

Way to go, Tracy!!! You did it!

Tracy said...

Results:

A+
96
4.0 GPA

: )