Sunday, June 12, 2005

Patriotism

Patriotic: Feeling, expressing, or inspired by love for one's country.
Do you love Canada? Do you love being a Canadian? I do.

My boyfriend might be American, and my son might be half American, but I'm proud to be a Canadian. I love the fact that we have land, lots of green, open land. I like our easy-going, calm, polite and friendly nature. I think this place suits me well. :)

Every year there's a parade in Cambridge on July 1st. I think I really want to try to see it this year. I've missed it for a few years now. I hope Miles will like it. I'll have to see if I can find us both a patriotic T-shirt, and flags or something else to wave around from the dollar store. Awww, I can picture it now - little Miles wearing a big maple leaf and waving his flag with that big smile of his just beaming! I remember watching the parade at Queen's Square when I was little. I remember it being brutally hot too! LOL I'm having second thoughts now! :)

6 comments:

Krista said...

I'm sure there will be room on Jen and Lori's porch for watching the parade go by. They'd love to see you, and your arms will definitely not be sore from holding Miles - in fact, you'll probably not see him the whole time!

Yeah - let's hit the dollar stores early and get some great C-Day junk! Canada is a pretty cool place, and we should be excited to celebrate that!

Krista said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
kathryn said...

I too love this country. I appreciate it, all that it is and has to offer. . We are very fortunate to live here! very.

After a recent visit to our nation's capital I am even more thrilled to be a Canadian. I also love "Canadian Idol"!!! our nationality shows through even in something like a music contest. Compared to its American counterpart, Canadian Idol is SUCH a class act. I won't throw stones at the Americans, but there is a definite difference and I love it, and i love Canada!

kathryn said...

i'm also very proud of our military. We aren't the most powerful, the biggest, we CERTAINLY don't have the best equipment! SUBMARINES! etc. But we have a long, distinguished military record. We have been involved in peacekeeping initiatives and liberation (Holland for instance). My grandfather, incidentally was part of the liberation of Holland - for which I am so grateful and proud. I have even been able to set foot on Dutch soil to see monuments to our Canadian soldiers. I have witnessed first hand the love and gratitude the Dutch still have towards all Canadians to this day! We Canadians were treated like royalty there. . it was an emotional experience.

Tracy said...

I've got this link http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/citizen/dualci_e.html I need to read it over again, but I believe that yes, Miles for example, is automatically considered both Canadian and American. I just can't remember if I'm supposed to do something to prove that...like I said, I need to read it again.

Carla said...

Hey Tracy,
Sherri sent me the pic of Jonah and Miles at the Falls... Jonah hugging Miles. Sooo cute!!