Saturday, July 16, 2005

The Great Downfall

Taken from Environment Canada:

SLOW MOVING THUNDERSTORMS WITH VERY HEAVY DOWNPOURS...

CLUSTERS OF SLOW MOVING THUNDERSTORMS IN THE GODERICH AND KITCHENER AREAS HAVE ALREADY DUMPED LOCALLY NEAR 50 MILLIMETRES OF RAIN TODAY. THESE THUNDERSTORMS AND OTHERS WHICH ARE EXPECTED TO FORM ACROSS THE REMAINDER OF THE DISTRICT WILL CONTINUE TO BRING LOCALLY VERY HEAVY DOWNPOURS FROM TIME TO TIME THIS AFTERNOON INTO THIS EVENING. AS A RESULT RAINFALL AMOUNTS LOCALLY WILL REACH 50 TO 100 MILLIMETRES BY THIS EVENING. IN ADDITION FREQUENT LIGHTNING AND WIND GUSTS TO 60 KM/H ARE ALSO QUITE POSSIBLE.



According to the TV version of The Weather Network, there was also a possibility of tornadoes. Actually, I was told one was spotted near Cambridge. We're in a nice little pocket of a valley and don't usually get the really severe weather. But the rain this afternoon was quite impressive. Enough so that I had to pull my camera out and take some pictures to prove it.

When I started seeing lightning that seemed really close, I turned off the TV and went upstairs to turn off computers. After that I watched the rain out my bedroom window. That's when I saw it. The rain was coming down the hill so hard and so fast, it was spouting out of the manhole cover in the middle of the street! I've never seen it do this before. I had a heck of a time trying to get a picture of it, and when I did, it came out so dark that you couldn't see anything. Luckily, I was able to lighten it up. See the area that I circled? That's the water spouting out of the manhole cover. I managed to get a video clip of it that is much easier to see, but I can't figure out how to pull a single frame out of the clip.

They're continuing to forcast rain right up until Wednesday now. I guess we'll have to settle for indoor activities until then. Hey, at least we're not living through hurricane after hurricane! I'll take thunderstorms any day of the week.

11 comments:

kathryn said...

cool pix, Tracy!

We were having such fun watching things too, cuz we're at the bottom of this big hill, and its very cool to see the road become like a river with 'white water rapids' and everything! the sidewalk was like a stream - very fast moving. . gravity is a cool thing. now what a great day to sail a paper boat down the gutter at the top of the hill and watch it go!

neither one of the grandkiddies seemed afraid of the booming thunder. we even opened the front door to see things up close.

it figures though, Rob and i are on holidays this week!!!!!

Krista said...

Booooo!!!

My herb garden drowned! All that hard work, washed away!

No - It's actually still there - just needs a little fixing!

I thought that thing you circled was a cat, LOL! I hope there weren't any little animals trying to walk down your street yesterday!

Tracy said...

We looked like we had a rice paddy in the back yard after the rain yesterday! hee hee

No animals were harmed in the making of this blog post. I did not see or hear one single beast during the downpour yesterday.

supersimbo said...

what kind of "herbs" were you growing krista?!!!

Krista said...

You, know Ally ...the normal type of herbs and things! I keep my cannabis in the house - it keeps the cats calm.

;-)P

kathryn said...

LOL!!!!

I only grow the dull kind! you know, mint, thyme, rosemary, chives. .

my lamb's ears got kinda 'smushed' after the storms.

supersimbo said...

its funny............i work in a "christian" restaurant and we sell some fair trade stuff...we have a book/diary thing in the selection and its pages are made from cannabis leaves.......so i jokinly said, "give me a page now and il eat it".............oh the looks i got!! haha

kathryn said...

ha ha!!! a few eyes poppin'??!!! LOL!

I think Fair Trade stuff should be more widely available.

Tracy said...

"pictures are filled with a tense desperation for a focal point amongst the hundreds of raindrops" Ha! That's a great way to put it. I never claimed to be a photographer!

Thanks for stopping by...

supersimbo said...

great description of your pics there! what a way with words!
thaks for linking me tracy

Tracy said...

Yeah, I thought it was about time I added a few links here and there! ;)