Sunday, September 04, 2005

Too holey?

I have a wee bit of a dilemma.

I have a few piercings. Okay, strictly in my ears. 7 to be exact. 2 in my right ear, and 5 in my left. Why the lack of balance? I'm not sure whether there's a reason or not. Hey, it was the thing to do! The thing I did, anyhow.

So I found a bunch of these nice, thicker guaged, sterling silver, sleeper hoops at Shoppers Drug Mart. I was having trouble with regular, thinner earrings making my holes (how else am I supposed to say that?) get infected - these thicker earrings worked like a charm. However, while I was pregnant, most of them became badly tarnished to the point where the finish was gone. Nothing I had would clean them up. So I went out and bought more. Yes, 7 more. Within a short period of time, they became badly tarnished as well.

I asked a couple of people what they thought about it. My hairdresser felt that the earrings in my left ear were placed in such a way that they touched the skin just behind my ear (the ones on the right weren't as bad as those on the left). She said there's a gland behind there and perhaps the pregnancy hormones were killing my silver. She suggested trying stainless steel. I found a store that sold stainless steel, but they were way too heavy a guage, more meant for funky piercings, not so much ears. It was suggested I try another jewellery store. I found and spoke to the manager of this jewellery store (more of a costume jewellery type shop, not the real good stuff). I told her about the problem I've been having and she proceeded to tell me about a relative of hers. This relative could not wear either silver or gold without it tarnishing. She figured I was in the same boat.

I decided to do a little experiment of my own. Mom had a couple of gold studs around that she let me borrow. They've been in my ears for weeks now and not a problem to be had. That got me thinking....I'd rather stick with the silver colour.....what about WHITE GOLD!!!!

I splurged. I bought myself a REALLY nice pair of white gold hoop earrings. Yes, they were expensive.

Okay, I tell you all of this as an introduction to something else.

I just turned 35 and I've got all of these holes in my ears and my skin is tarnishing all of the cheap stuff I get. Should I spend some bucks and replace all of my silver with white gold? Or should I bite the bullet and let them all go except my very first 2 original holes (well, and the one through the cartilege at the top of my left ear). Does it look stupid in this day and age for a regular Jane like me to have 7 holes in her ears??? Will I lose my youth, my cool, forever if I let them grow over?

Has anyone else been there and done that? I'd love to hear some opinions, thoughts, ideas and stories. What did you do?

15 comments:

Tracy said...

For a while there, I seriously thought about getting a tattoo as well - my "fairy godmother" peeking over my shoulder - but when I saw pictures of freshly completed tattoos and the reddened skin, I put some more thought into it. My skin is rather sensitive. I don't know if it could handle that much poking and prodding. Then I started thinking about how I've had reactions, once or twice, to strange things, like regular earrings being rejected by my body as fluff because the wire is too thin. Do I really want that ink forever in my skin? Do I want to take the chance? In the end, I didn't want it bad enough. But it would have been a pretty cute tattoo! lol

Tracy said...

Those suckers are some work! I've set aside my tattoo dreams for now, I think. :)

You said you design your own...meaning you draw them too? See, I have an idea but can't draw worth a crap (which is why I asked for The Idiot's Guide to Drawing for my birthday!). I thought having the tattoo artist draw something up for you would cost loads more too. Can you give me the lowdown on that?...in case I ever change my mind.

Tee/Tracy said...

My ears are sensitive to what metal I put there too. They'll get infected or hurt, or the metal will tarnish. I don't leave earrings in for more than a day. When I used to, it had to be really good quality.

When I was a teenager I had 3 holes in my left (one at the top), and 2 on my right... I'm not big on jewlery though so when I became negligent in wearing earrings, they closed up. I redid one in each ear myself a long time ago, and wear earrings often enough (once a month usually, LOL.), to keep them from closing.

Oh, and I had a nose ring for about a day. (I did that myself, too. Man I had balls back then. LOL.) ... When my Mom saw it she freaked and demanded I take it out. Darn.

I think if you still like having them, keep them. If it makes you sad not to have them, it's worth it to buy white gold... If you can do without or you think you want to take on a new "look" now, go for it.... Atleast this is something that can be undone/re-done if you change your mind.

Do whatever makes you happy :)

Tracy said...

Tee, you sure did have balls! I've got good pain tolerance, but definitely not enough nerve to pierce something by myself! As for the ears, I want to be able to wear my earrings 24/7. I've been wearing the new ones nonstop since I got them (I've got a bid in for another pair on eBay). So far, so good. I don't really know what I want when it comes to deciding whether to keep them or let them grow over. I'm going to be the only one who notices anyhow - my rings-a-plenty ears don't show all that much under my hair. I sure hate seeing the rings looking all black and gross though. Yuck

kathryn said...

not too holey, i don't think so either. I am very sensitive to a truck load of things. . won't bore you. My body constantly rejects the wearing of my earrings, so i very seldom wear them. I can only wear gold. I haven't tried silver, but i'm sure it would be fine. cheap earrings? forget that. . make my ears swell and itch and close over. when i got double piercings, i had a lot of trouble with reactions to the piercing studs. . which i had to remove cuz my ears swelled up so much. One grew over, the other has almost joined it. My original holes are good. They never close, but initially they were very troublesome.

i avoid tattoos for the same reasons that you do. Though I would really love to have one. I have had too many scary reactions to drugs, foods, preserving agents in foods, animals, plants, chemicals, etc. I do not want to end up in hospital for that ever again. . i had a super bad reaction to an over the counter drug once. . it gave me documented neurological damage (which recurred again several months later - but thankfully fully reversed), heart arrhythmias - was put on a heart monitor, drugged with Benadryl for days, assessed in Toronto at a Neurology Clinic. . It took a couple of months for me to recover. So yeah, no tattoos for me!!! It ain't worth the danger.

Tracy said...

Kathy, I think Lindsay would beat you over the head if you ever even mentioned it, considering your past experiences! ;) Obviously, tattoos are not for everyone.

Ben O. said...

Keep those holes - but be careful with the tarnishing.

You seem hip enough to carry all of the rings.

I say go for it.

Ben O.

Tee/Tracy said...

Hey, just dropping back in to say thanks for sending over your friend. I visited her in return.

See you around :)

Alexis said...

I would love a tatoo but my fear of pain stops from defacing my body with one.

As far as holes well I have 2 in each ear and I can only wear silver. I am alergic to Gold. Yes therefore for the men reading this I am a cheap date as far as jewlery goes.

When I wear gold it turns silver in less than 24 hrs. I have never tried white gold but I guess I should since that is all my mother wheres mostly. And since one day some of her jewlery will be mine I should really know what I can wear.

Tracy for right now I think it is fine to have all those holes. It still is cool and in style. So Tracy excuse the pun but here goes anyways holey smoke do what you feel most comfortable not what others think you should do.

Being single I have come to realize that in life I have to give myself the things I want and need so go girl reward yourself with something nice a few new earings. You deserve it.

Tracy said...

If that's the case, I think Aunt Krista would say YEEEOOOOOWWWWWWTCCCCHHHHH!!!!! She had a nasty experience with a cat scratch. Uncle Bob had the super nasty cat bite incident. But it's not like one cat scratch, right? Wouldn't it be more like a cat scratching you over and over and over again?

Krista said...

No tatoos for Auntie K! Thanks for the heads-up Lindsay! ;-)

LOL!

Dale said...

I vote for not too holey, Tracy. Also, I say spend some bucks and replace all of your silver with white gold. (But test the pair you have for awhile longer before you go all out to be sure they won't tarnish like the silver.)

As for turning 35 and "losing your youth, your cool, etc", I say that's a lot of hooey. Keeping your earings or letting your holes close makes no difference. It's all in how you feel about yourself and also remembering how much you are worth to God and your close friends and family. That's what really counts. I'm half way through my 36th year, have no piercings, no tattoos, my hair is graying fast, and I weigh a bit more than I'd like to. But who cares! I still feel young, act young, have fun, and have plenty of people around me who think I'm the coolest guy they know! And God loves me just like I am! I'm fairly certain you aren't much different (feeling young, having fun, being cool, etc) so don't sweat it. :)

Sherri Lavender said...

So, what's the update? Have you made a decision about your holes? :o)

Tracy said...

Thanks for the prompt Sherri.

It's been nearly a month since my birthday and I'm not feeling quite so old anymore. :) The holes are staying...for now.

I did buy a second pair of white gold hoops on eBay (half the price of the first pair I got). So far none of them have tarnished. Hooray!! I don't feel like such a dirty girl anymore (hahaha!)

I think that as long as I can keep my ears full of classy and clean earrings, I'll keep them all.

It's soon time for more shopping on eBay! 3 more earrings to go!

Dale said...

Good for you Tracy! :)