Saturday, September 24, 2005

You Are a Christmas Cake

I was searching around for a cake recipe and pulled out my mother’s The Treasury of Newfoundland Dishes cookbook (published by Maple Leaf Mills Limited, Newfoundland, millers of Cream of the West Flour, Seventh Edition 1971). I had never noticed this one before. I’ve seen a number of recipes like this, but this one’s a little different.

You Are A Christmas Cake

1 cup of butter of faith – to make life run smoothly.
1 cup of sugar – life needs its sweetness.
5 eggs to make it light – this is prayer, which uplifts.
½ pound of nuts – humour. Nuts to crack like good humour – be sure they are clean!
¼ pound of cherries – colour the cake like music on a dull morning.
1 pound of raisins are old friends, always a delight.
1 pound of currants are new friends, always interesting.
¼ teaspoon of allspice puts tang in it like initiative.
¼ teaspoon of cinnamon is ambition.
2 teaspoons of baking powder to make it rise. This is the Holy Spirit.
½ cup of pure fresh whole milk – the perfect food which is the Word of God.
½ teaspoon of salt called Wisdom.
3 cups of four sifted finely to fold the whole cake together – Love blends all life into one.

Method: Mix all well together and bake in the slow oven of experience. When well done, allow to cool. Add frosting to surround it with beauty. Add red candles to light for all to see; then slice the cake and share it with others.

There is a note from the publishers at the end which says, “We thought the recipe itself was quite delightfully phrased, and it produces a very nice cake indeed.” Sally West.

11 comments:

kathryn said...

that's so nice, Tracy! I LOVE Christmas cake. . .fruit cake with marzipan is such a delight!

what a cool life 'recipe' -- thanx for sharing that with us!

Tracy said...

I'm glad you enjoyed that Kathy. I meant to hold onto it until December, but I got a little ahead of myself. :) I figure it didn't hurt to leave it posted. I'm one of those freaks who enjoy fruit cake too, especially the ones with marzipan! I don't understand why people give it such a rough time. The same with meatloaf! lol

Dale said...

I am 36 years old and don't believe I've ever eaten fruit cake. Weird?! Maybe I should try it this year. Hmmm....

Krista said...

People give it a rough time because it's nasty stuff! Blech!

This recipe makes fruicake sound like the lovliest thing on earth though! Does that book have a recipe that makes meatloaf sound good too? Yak! LOL!

Dale said...

Sisters.... Always giving ya a hard time! ;) LOL Just kidding Krista! ;)

Tracy said...

I tell ya! No respect! :P

kathryn said...

nope!!! ha ha. .

yay! i found someone who likes fruitcake with marzipan!!!! We gotta stick 2gether on this, Tracy!!! all the more for us, eh?!
i also love meatloaf! if its turkey loaf. . and if its not dry! yum!!!!

Dale, try some fruit cake. . the light variety. . you might like it?!!!

Dale said...

Will do, Kat. That will be my new thing to do for Christmas this year. (Gotta walk on the wild side from time to time. LOL)

Alexis said...

Well Tracy I love Christmas cake and with such a great recipe like that, I may have just found the perfect Christmas gift for those friends I want to give something small. That cake with the recipe. So cool, thanks Tracy.

I like Christmas cake in small doses. I find it to heavy, sometimes.

Now the meatloaf well that is another story on its own, my favorite meal served with mashed potatoes and corn or some veggie.

UMMM UMMMM Good

Tee/Tracy said...

Hey! That's nice! :)

kathryn said...

this post is making me hungry! all this talk of meatloaf dinners and fruit cake. . .yummy!!!!