Wednesday, November 30, 2005

One Birthday Down


It's true what they say - they grow up too fast.

Miles' birthday has come and gone. The party went quite well I thought. There wasn't exactly any ripping into presents. Miles didn't seem to understand that. He didn't really get what was going on, period. But how could he? So I helped him unwrap his gifts, and read his cards aloud. We enjoyed watching Miles and Jonah giving the new toys a workout. What did he get? A dump truck, a book, some interlocking beads and roly-poly "blocks", a fuzzy covered foam chair, a Toronto Maple Leafs jersey, a stuffed ducky and a little Christmas moose, a couple of outfits, a sled....oh, and Alexis brought over a play keyboard. We had quite a laugh watching the boys go crazy with that! I made Miles' cake out of Rice Krispies Squares made into two rounds, sandwiched with jam, and covered in icing. It worked out way batter than I thought it would. I had visions of it sliding apart while trying to cut it. Super sweet!

Today, his actual Birth Day, I took my little man out on a date. We went to a Japanese restaurant for lunch, then we went to see the butterflies. My lunch was very late being served, but that gave me lots of time to give Miles my full attention while I was giving him his lunch. Oh man, was it worth the wait though. Mmmm mmmmm good! :) Our server was sweet and brought us a single scoop of ice cream with a birthday candle in it when I mentioned that it was Miles' birthday. I took a chance and let Miles have a few tastes of the ice cream, even though he's had reactions to dairy products in the past. Thankfully there was no extreme itchiness or red blotches on his face. We really enjoyed the butterflies too. I got a little concerned at first when I saw a sign near the greenhouse entrance which said that butterflies prefer the sun, so you may not see as many on a cloudy day. The weather today was very dreary, dark, and dismal. But we saw lots of butterflies, and not just the little brown ones! Large, papery white ones, and darker ones with red and blue and white and yellow markings. I spied a colourful beetle or weevil, and we even found a turtle! On our second pass through the greenhouse, I noticed these massive moths. The girl that works there told me their name, which I forget, and said they're the largest moth species known to mankind. They were huge! I was very pleased with our third visit to the butterfly sanctuary, and already can't wait for our next visit! I want to go in maybe January or February when it's freezing cold outside and so warm and moist in the greenhouse. Ahhhhh!

I have spent the last couple of days remembering the events leading up to Miles' birth. Precious memories. I look forward to making many more wonderful memories with my son.

Happy Birthday my wonderful boy! I love you!

6 comments:

kathryn said...

great pix, Tracy! Love the Spongebob chair!!! and Mile's picture is so cute! Sounds like birth day was very special for you and Miles. Wings of Paradise sounds like a great place to go!! Get a load of that giant moth!!! wow. . that's amazing.

Sue Matthews said...

Happy birthday Miles! It's crazy how fast the time goes.

I hate to ask the question, but are you going back to work soon?

Tracy said...

In answer to your question Sue, I go back to work January 9th. I was fortunate enough to have been able to find some extra vacation time available to me to extend my time off a little.

Dale said...

Wow! That's a HUGE moth! Butterflies and moths are so interesting to look at, though, especially the ones that have such colorful and unique patterns on their wings. What an amazing artist God is!

Happy birthday to Miles! May he continue to bring you joy for many more years to come, and keep on making happy memories!

Alexis said...

Well that little Ham Bone sure knows when you are taking his picture and puts out a great smile for you.

Tracy what a Blessing Miles has been in all our lives over the past year. It has been so awesome to be a part of his first year.

I loved the afternoon watching the boys putting on their little rock concert for us. They both are so very precious.

One of the times when you go to the butterfly place I would love to go as I have never been there. Please ask me to come along.

Look forward to many more of those special times we all share and to watch Miles and Jonah grow up to be fine young men. After all they have wonderful parents to follow for examples.

Lex

Tee/Tracy said...

Oh my gosh - he's such a cutie - and has an obvious sense of humor! :) Happy Birthday :)