Sunday, December 18, 2005

Stinking Crystal

Years ago, when there were stories of danger in using antiperspirants flying around the internet, and I discovered that my skin is a little sensitive to some deodorants, I decided to try a crystal deodorant. It's just a smoothed and rounded piece of crystal, made of mineral salts, that you moisten with water and rub onto clean armpits (or feet or palms or wherever you have stink issues). On the container it says that one application is good for 24 hours, and that the crystal should last for up to a year. I've had this particular crystal for quite some time - definitely for 3 1/2 years, probably for at least 5 years, possibly even for 8 years (yeowsers!) I don't remember the last time I bought myself a stick of Soft'n'Dri. I don't even know if it's still on the market! After getting used to sweating and getting damp again, I've never had a problem with my crystal. It's never let me down. I admit I was very doubtful about its abilities at first, but decided to go ahead and try anyhow. I've just recently started on a new crystal, as the old one finally broke into 3 jagged pieces. Maybe I can keep this one going for 10 years! hehe

3 comments:

kathryn said...

I tried a crystal once. . i don't remember if it worked, cuz i don't sweat much in the course of the average day, unless of course i'm working out, dancing, shoveling, speed walking, heavy house cleaning, etc. If i'm on the job or going out to a movie or dinner, i don't really sweat. As a result, I don't use much antiperspirant, because when I know i'm gonna physically work and sweat, i have a shower after. I remember a few years ago Sherri read that a component in antiperspirants was a carcinogen? i think that was it? So, she did an experiment, i think just using deodorant. . i also tried this, but i didn't keep using it, cuz as I mentioned, I don't sweat much.

I think natural is a good way to go, and you can't get much more natural than a crystal!!! I wonder, why do modern humans always want to fight against nature?!

Tracy said...

I think the story about antiperpirants being a carcinogen turned out to be an internet hoax. HOWEVER, a lot of it made sense. Surely it can't be in your best interests to prevent your body from sweating! A damp underarm doesn't hurt anything, and I'm sure having a big sweat during a workout is very beneficial. I'm sticking with my crystal.

kathryn said...

i agree, i don't think we should prevent what's supposed to be. . sweating has a purpose. .